Thursday, October 7

A Glimpse into Annie's Mind... what could be scarier? ;)

My mind works in tunnels... er. wormholes is probably more appropriate. Remember that image of Jodi Foster in the movie Contact- where she's in the chair flying through tunnels and then dropping into wormholes, then flying through another tunnel only to end up at a clear destination of a beach.. well that's the best way to describe how my mind works.



So if you're still interested come along on a journey with me and keep reading! :)




Getting in the chair and strapping in: Last weekend Ken and I watched the movie 2012. Then two nights ago I watched a show on the History Channel about 2012. And they spoke about how the Mayan calendar (which is apparently really precise) ends on December 21st,2012. And they went on to talk about how the Chinese have a book called the I- Ching that ends on the same date, and of course they brought in all kinds of stories about people prophesying the end of the world as we know it. Most of the time, my reaction would be "click" - change the channel. I don't know what the pull was that kept me watching it (maybe it was the movie being fresh on my mind) Anyway, I watched the whole show which got me all worked up because they had said that astronomers and science had confirmed that Dec. 21, 2012 is when the earth and a bunch of other planets come completely in line with the sun which could cause polar shifts, etc. etc. Sounds plausible. Well being a mom this had me all worked up. I'm not so much worried about it being an apocalypse because if that's the case we're ok. But what if its not the end of the world and it just means some really traumatic geological stuff is going to happen? It physically hurts me to imagine not being able to save my children from harm.


Enter my constant spell of worrying...

Tunnel:
So, for the past couple of days I've been pondering what I would do if some major natural catastrophe were to strike. Possible scenarios, Where would I go, What would I do, How can I plan or prepare in order to keep my family safe (thats the major one). Sure I can pack an emergency kit, maybe even pack one of our hiking backpacks to be ready to go... (yes, I'm that crazy that I would do that- don't judge me! ;)


Wormhole: So I started to create a little mental list. For example, each person would need a change of clothes, (something warm, waterproof, and lightweight). The girls would want their blankie... so have to pack that.. And then first aid kit, trash bags, flint stick, knives, tent, sleeping bags, food and water. Then I looked around my house to see if there was anything else that we would "need" and it was like my eyes were opened for the first time.


Beach:
We have so much that falls under the category of "want" it was very grounding. Yes, I was always keenly aware that there are others out there that have far less than we do but it didn't quite hit home until today. WE ARE SOOO BLESSED! Our closets and drawers are beyond full, the toyboxes/ baskets are overflowing, we have so much stuff that we don't know where to put it all. It was a really good reality check to have especially since the holiday season is gearing up. I've already been eying Christmas presents and cute matching Christmas outfits for my girls for the past two weeks now.


Back to Earth:
But now with this realization I've had today it makes me think.. Some of my favorite presents were presents that were "thoughtful presents" not just filler presents (ie. more boxes to open). Toys and clothes get outgrown, is there something that you received as a child that has always stuck with you?


As for the end of the world stuff. I'll probably have a bag packed just in case. ;)





And do the same exercise... If something were to happen and all you could take with you had to fit in a backpack.. what would it be? Then take an inventory of your belongings.

1 comments:

Ashley said...

oh i love how this blog concluded! i definitely didnt see it coming.